Three versions of a realistic screw I’ve made for an issue of “Die Zeit”. At the end they preferred the second one.
A Formula One car and some components I’ve made for a “Die Zeit”-infographic. The illustrations show the 2015 version of the car and the parts that were changed or improved for this season. The four parts are: Hybrid engine, air intake, front wing and the multifunctional steering wheel.
I needed around 9 days to make the models.
And some wireframes.
Another large infographic I’ve made for an issue of the Süddeutsche Zeitung. It illustrates all succeded, failed, ongoing, and planned missions that were/will be send to Mars.
A quite complex 3D model of the Norwegian Getaway I have build for the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. I also had to cut several parts open to show the bridge, luxury cabins, normal cabins, crew cabins, restaurants, medical center, waste disposal and laundry. The rooms are not very accurate since there are very few technical informations about the ship. But their position in the ship is correct.
I needed 12 days to make the model.
A large map of the Frankfurt University. It shows the four main sites and the departments of the university. I made this for a special issue of the Zeit.
I build the models mainly on basis of Google Maps and the aerial view of Bing Maps. The building are quite simple, mainly blocks. But I still needed two weeks put all together.
An illustration of a smart grid I’ve made for the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. It shows the basic concept of the network of electrical suppliers and consumers.
Some of my illustrations are based on very simple sketches (often I don’t make sketches at all).
Completed an ant queen model. Distinctive attributes of ant queens are the lack of long hairs, the voluminous thorax (it contains the flight muscles) and the glossy abdomen.
I’ve nearly completed an ant drone model. Only the reproductive organs at the back aren’t done, yet. I have to find better material on this topic. I also have to add some hairs to the edges of the wings.
Two newspaper illustrations about the complicated user interfaces of ticket machines. The left one got on the main title but print quality was very disappointing.
The time window was quite narrow, so I’ve exported the hand model from the open source character tool MakeHuman (http://www.makehuman.org). The program is very helpful for simple base meshes, but the anatomy of the hand needed some tweaking for more realism. Thankfully the exported mesh contained a usable rig. I only had to make the UV-maps, nails and the textures.